pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

Memories of getting lost in St Paul

What do we store in the back of our minds through out our life? I seem to be pulling some strange memories out. I can see where old people do remember the past, when the world has changed so much that the past is more comfortable for them.
Last night I had fallen asleep and something happened that shocked me awake, without any forewarning suddenly two women dressed in 1940s coats came  into my house it stopped right there, I woke up totally awake. I was so shocked to realize where they belonged in my memories. Crazy as it is.
Back in the day during WW2, we moved to ST. Paul, my dad did not qualify for the military but he did qualify to work for the Dept of Navy. They were building an airport (which is still in operation today) called Wold Chamberlain Airport. Now that is not pertinent to my story just that is why we were living in an apartment in the city.
I guess I was about three or four and the youngest. I was also a mommas baby, I had just over come a bout of the measles and chicken pox which for some reason I do not remember,  I do remember looking out of the window and  watching  my brothers playing. And for some reason I remember one of the brothers crawling up on an old icebox and one brother crawling under it and the brother on top drops something, I think a rock on the head of the other brother. Did it happen? I do not know, but it did happen in my memories.
Now getting back to my dream, one day my mother said she was going to the store, now I wanted to go with her but she said no. And someone was supposed to watch me but evidently they did not. This part I do remember vividly. I followed her to the store, I remember my legs were tired but I kept going. When I finally got to the store I saw this shining thing that people walked up to and it turned and let them through., of course it was just a turnstile, but to me it was huge and scary.

Well I was too small or it frightened me I do not remember which, but a lady in a brown coat came up to me and ask if I needed  help, I said I want my mommy and she left, I guess to go find management. I started crying and went out side and sat on the curb (now remember this was in the city) and as I sat there crying, a lady in a purple coat and fur collar came and sat by me. Evidently the police was called because the next memory I have is them driving me in their car and eating an ice cream cone while they said, is this where you live, over and over and then I remember pointing and saying there is my house on the big hill. It wasn’t a house on a hill; it was an apartment building with quite a few steps in front. And so I was found. Did I get a spanking or a scolding I am sure I did not, but through my life I would think of  the lady in the purple coat every so o
ften.

No comments: