pages

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Friday fun and other things

I finally walked out of my house without huge piles of snow, not a bit of ice, the wind was not blowing at warp speed, the sun was shining In fact I was in a short sleeved tee shirt.I was going out! Believe me that was huge for me, its been a long winter in more ways than one.
I was on my way to meet up with cousins and go visit one of the aunts and her  daughter. Aunt Alice lives in an assisted living  apartment, she is a lively old gal with a huge problem, her blood sugar will not stay where It belongs so she is being monitored constantly. I can tell you though if you need family history she is sharp as a tack.

Well I met up with cousin Don and cousin Karen, no matter how long its been since we have seen each other, we pick up where we left off. We stopped at the family cemetery on the way to the aunts. Walking between the graves of grandparents ,parents, aunts, uncles is like seeing them in person they are gone but not forgotten.

The visit with the aunt and cousin from New Mexico was fun, memories, news, our old  age health problems and when are we going to see each other again were the main topics.And the laughter what a joyous sound, who says getting old isn't fun.

When I got home i had a nice surprise oldest son called, he has been working on his masters for a few years, while teaching school giving pottery lessons, doing  flea markets with his huge collection of high end antique glassware, he is finally getting his Masters degree on May 11th and wants me and his siblings there. This is the son that fought everything a parent could ask of a child, but we all survived his growing up years, even though I cried when he dropped out of high school. He and his wife had four children and were struggling, they managed to put her through nursing school ( she has been working at Mayo Clinic for years), then he went to college for his teaching degree. Now finally at age 52 he is getting his Masters and I will be there to cheer.

We should all be lucky enough to have those special days, when it is not earth shaking but full of love of life. Today is nice, remembering the after glow of yesterday.

No comments: