pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Creative writers corner # 50 corn in a field




 
Sitting outside on the back steps in the dark drinking in the quiet of the evening, the children sleeping and a time for me to  finally relax for a while, to unwind . My day was hard, just like yesterday and the day before. Feeling the unborn child move, thinking you poor child. The baby's movement stops and I leaned back to look at the clear star filled night, the breeze gently caressing my face. I wait listening to the quiet of the night, the mooing of cattle across the road, the owls sounding lonely as I, doing their hooting calls to each other. Watching fireflies swooping here and there, remembering as a child I would catch them. I thought maybe tomorrow  night I could let the children stay up and see them.
Then in the quiet I hear a tiny creaking, then popping sounds, puzzled and startled I strained to hear where it was coming from. I heard more and and more of the small sounds coming from the corn field. A young mother alone most of the time except for the children, I was somewhat uneasy. What could it be I wondered, after listening for a while a while, those small sounds comforted me. Then quietly going back into the house where the children lay safely sleeping.  As I lay in my bed with the window open, I fell asleep to those sounds
 The next day my father in law stopped by and as I told him about these strange sounds, he smiled and said that was just the sound of corn growing. From then I felt comforted by these sounds of nature doing their job. As summer  started to turn to fall, the sounds from the field  changed. to a crackling tired sound like it knew it was nearing harvest time and I thought to myself, that is what life is. Life is about about growing and maturing making sure that life will continually be renewed.

~tee2011~

No comments: