pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

A memorial for my Brother David

I must have been 4, I do not remember a lot of things from that time but I do remember the day the Navy came to our home and knocked on the door. They asked for my new sister in law Mary, I remember the cry and the faint when she was told David had been wounded in action.I do not remember the words but I remember the fear that curled through my body. I did not understand wounded or action, just the pain and fear.
My brother David newly wed and age 19 was serving in a PT boat in the south Pacific and the boat was torpedoed. The men all survived but David spent three days in the water with a badly crushed leg before being found. Luckily he survived, even kept the leg. He was awarded the Bronze star and a purple heart, which for some reason he never collected.
The love story of Mary and Dave is famous in our family, he was stationed near New York city during training and he and some friends were walking down a street when he saw this beautiful girl in the shop window. he went in introduced himself and asked her to marry him and 4 weeks later she did. I never saw them ever part even for a few minutes that they did not kiss goodbye as though each time was going to be the last. They raised 7 children life happened, Mary got breast cancer and even back in those days she beat it. David had health problems all his life and died at age 57 from a heart attack. Mary still lives, she is now 86 and accepting the fact that she again has breast cancer. When I call her, she always mentions something about "my David", as always when he was mentioned that is how she said his name.She is patiently accepting what God gives her each day with her family and waiting for the day she finally sees her David again.

No comments: